Thursday, May 12, 2016

What Happens when you miss a dose of your psychiatric medication?

May is Mental Health Month.
Of all the days that I decide to start a blog on Mental Health, and particularly one that deals with Recovery, I discovered that I missed yesterday morning's dose of my medication. This was several pills not just one.

I had missed doses before, I was forced to reduce my medication, due to a shortage in supply, so there was no reason to panic.

Here's what happened:
As soon as I discovered that I missed my dose, I just took my dose at the regular interval. I didn't double up on dosage or anything. If anyone is ever unsure, they should contact a pharmacist or mental health professional or a doctor. This is my disclaimer. I am only telling you what I experienced or did. I not a professional or a doctor.

I didn't get much sleep last night, and usually when amount or quality of sleep is affected, mental health suffers, as I found out this morning.

The coca cola I had late yesterday afternoon, I am sure did not help. I don't usually drink it that late. I usually drink some coke in the early afternoon or with lunch and then that's my quota.
Several things went on yesterday evening which could have led to the little sleep I had. I had therapy too, went shopping, then came home to do something or other. It's all a bit fuzzy now. Today I have recovered because I got a little sleep in the early morning hours, woke up, took my morning dose of medication, had breakfast which included a banana, then went for a walk, followed by my drive out to get a sub.

All in all. I think I managed this mini-recovery well, and I am here writing to its continued success for the rest of today. We'll see.

Thanks for reading. More to come on similar topics. Enjoy Mental Health Month.

No comments:

Post a Comment